Skip to content

Academic Planning

Student Academic Services Counselors at each of the four JWU campuses can help you identify which credits and graduation requirements in your degree audit could be satisfied by study abroad credits.  It is best to talk with Study Abroad first in order to learn about the programs, our partners, the academic content and overall flow of the various programs.  Study Abroad can help identify a range of programs which may interest you.

Once you have chosen specific programs and/or been accepted into a study abroad program, share the program academic information with your Academic Counselor to discuss the specific plan for where the abroad credits will be used within your degree.

Please be aware that when Study Abroad reviews your application for a specific program, we are only evaluating whether or not you meet the eligibility requirements of the specific program.  We are not confirming the use of your credits earned abroad.  You will need to identify and maintain your personal academic plan directly with your Academic Counselor.

You must ensure that you complete all academic prerequisites prior to the program departure and that you don't have any troubles scheduling for the study abroad courses.  If you are unable to properly schedule for courses due to lack of completing the required course prerequisites, you will not be able to attend the program and could face study abroad late withdrawal penalties.

Once you have your academic plan confirmed with your Academic Counselor, it is best to be vigilant about preserving that plan.  Any changes to your degree, concentrations, or minors may affect how study abroad fits into your graduation plans.

All Students
The timeline for JWU Study Abroad course registration is slightly different than the regular course registration process at JWU.
  • JWU Study Abroad will grant you permissions and send instructions to register for the Study Abroad course or courses on your program.
  • In some cases, this will be a placeholder course, and in other cases this will be a JWU course.
  • You will receive the instructions, including the CRNs, via email. 

Exchange or Affiliate Students
  • If you are participating in an exchange (e.g., Auckland University of Technology) or an affiliate program (e.g., API University of Westminster) please note that you will be registering for the placeholder course at JWU.
  • You will also need to register for courses at your host university. This information will be initially provided to you by the JWU program manager. However, please check your email for updates directly from the host university or affiliate program provider. If you have detailed questions, contact the exchange coordinator at your host university or your affiliate program provider.
  • If you will be taking courses abroad that have not already been approved by JWU (approved courses can be found in the program brochures on JWU Study Abroad’s website) you will need to follow the course equivalency process.

Returning Students
If applicable, remember that while you are abroad, you may have to register for your courses for the following term. Check SAFS’s website for updates as well as your JWU or home school email often, as you will receive your usual SAFS/registrar email notification to register.