Skip to content


Every traveler needs a valid passport.

In general, it is highly recommended that your passport be valid for at least 6 months after you depart your host country abroad and that your passport have blank pages for visas and entry/exit stamps. However, each individual country has its own passport requirements for visitors, so you should check with the embassy or consulate of your destination to know the exact requirement.

Each participant in a JWU study abroad program needs to upload a copy of the bio page of the participant's valid passport to their online application.

If your passport is damaged, lost, or stolen while abroad, you should immediately contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the country that issued your passport.

If you are a U.S. citizen, you can get information for applying for or renewing a passport from the U.S. Department of State.

If outside of your country of citizenship, contact your local embassy or consulate to get details regarding passports. If inside your country of citizenship, contact the appropriate government office.